Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: mail storm

From: david () james kalifornia com (zero cool)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:13:15 -0700

I remember seeing references to this on the Net-abuse newsgroup ( I think
It's in the FAQ).  This method has been used by users who have been
"spammed", to exact revenge on the "spammers".  Usually the mail load gets
so high, that the spammer is simply disusered, leaving a large disaster area
in his wake, which the Sys-Op is left with.  BTW, I don't agree with this
kind of revenge!

Ok, I've just been hit with a mail storm...and the thunder is rolling.

One of my users must have an enemy ::(  His *listserv* was subscribed to
X lists...ughh.

Does anyone have any tools for parsing the mailq/logs and giving me some
data to work with?  My mail server normally has <100 msgs per 5min queue
time.  I am facing 7K+ and it's really bogging my server.

Currently, I've taken steps to limit sendmail at lavg of 4+ and have reniced
the sendmail daemon to maintain some control over the machine.

I will be filtering shortly, but I need all the list addresses first.

Thanx in advance for anyone's assistance.
David