Bugtraq mailing list archives

IRIX 5.3 and CA-96.19 - Vulnerability in expreserve?

From: mkienenb () arsc edu (Mike Kienenberger)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:43:22 -0800

Re: CERT Advisory CA-96.19 - Vulnerability in expreserve

Anyone know what the exploit for this is and whether it applies to SGI's IRIX 5.3?
/usr/lib/expreserve uses system("/usr/bin/mail %s"), but using IFS shows
that mail isn't called with a group-id of sys as far as I can tell..

myhost% ls -l /usr/lib/expreserve
-rwxr-sr-x    1 root     sys        18632 Jul 19  1995 /usr/lib/expreserve

I find the absense of a comment by SGI quite suspicious since they're quite
fast to post "we're not vulnerable" responses.

Thanks.
---
Mike Kienenberger    Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
Systems Analyst      (907) 474-6842
mkienenb () arsc edu    http://www.arsc.edu