Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Would an encrypted tunnel solve the SeqNo guessing attack?

From: mark () zang kcc hawaii edu (Mark)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 17:30:48 -1000 (HST)

Suppose I took term (a multiplexing, compressing, error-correcting serial
tunnel program) and added encryption, and rigged that to be my login shell.
I'd log in to the computer, and after my S/Key prompt it'd fire up an
encrypted term. I don't see any way some could burgle in through that.

Have I missed something fundamental here? Or would this work?

I use a similar setup now, triple des streams from my home machine to my
destination machine with term firewalled to prevent any sort of files or
ports being opened. It does work, you simply need to plug in the right modules.

Mark