Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris 2.3 ndd bug

From: avalon () coombs anu edu au (Darren Reed)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 19:15:50 +1100 (EDT)

I discovered a, er, shortcoming of /usr/sbin/ndd under Solaris 2.3 this
evening....

I was poking around, trying to learn more about the system I live in/with,
that sort of thing, when I tried:
/usr/sbin/ndd /dev/udp udp_status

Boom!  Instant kernel panic.

I'm logged in from remote, so I didn't get to see all the nice messages, but
this is the line in /var/adm/messages which seems relevant:

Feb  6 01:52:21 iron unix: panic: recursive mutex_enter. mutex fc0acb50 caller fc02dabc

I, um, reproduced it on another Solaris 2.3 system, so it seems like a real
bug.

And as I see it, this is a reasonably large one.
Not only does it show a less-than-complete run of testing of Sun's udp code
(I daren't try it with other devices until I have a test machine), but it
could theoretically present an interesting denial of service attack.

Anyone care to try it on 2.[24] or anything else w/ ndd?

ummmm, yeah, found that last year...fixed in 2.4

I had a problem with bsmconv being enabled (2.4), but I haven't tried the
latest kernel yet (101945-13).  problem = kernel panic:
Jan  9 19:38:46 solaris2 unix: panic: AUDIT_SETF: path already allocated to file audit data