Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: sendmail testing

From: mmwidner () gsbux1 uchicago edu (Michael R. Widner)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 13:20:24 -0600 (CST)

Previously, *Hobbit* wrote:
Anyone who wants to watch the bug in action, and whose sendmail is doing
the identd lookups, can send a message to himself via the mailserver here.
For instance, if you're foo () bar com, send mail to foo%bar.com () avian org
and get your sniffer handy.  If /tmp/fuckme shows up on your system, most
likely owned by bin, you've got the problem.

I've been playing around with this bug a little bit.  I understand what's
going on, but there is something I'm a bit confused about.  I get all the
right stuff in the qf* file and if I have sendmail process it by doing a
sendmail -q I see the expected behavior.  But when sendmail processes
the incomming messages immediately it ignores the extra R<whatever> line.
The stuff all shows up in the delivered message, but sendmail doesn't act
on it.

So what I'm confused about is this:  What is different about the way
sendmail processes the queue files when it is called with the -q option
and when it is just processing off smtp connections?  I see the exact same
behavior on 8.6.9 running on 4.1.3 and Linux.

--
Michael R. Widner
widner () uchicago edu