Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IFS

From: nate () VIS ColoState EDU (Nate Sammons - CVL System Admin)
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 08:46:56 -0700 (MST)

Thus spake Paul Robinson:

On Mon, 13 Feb 1995, Dave Williss wrote:

What is IFS, anyway?  I've seen it, but never anything to tell what it
is, what it does, what IFS stands for.

Installable File System.  One of the uses is to, for example, put a large
disk on one machine and have many others share it so that it is
indistinguishable from a local disk if the link is fast enough.

I was under the impression that IFS was the Internal Field Separator.  It's a
variable in /bin/sh.  It was used before awk and perl were (mercifully)
invented so that you sould do easy splitting of strings.  It's usually set
to " " but you might set it to, say ":" if you were trying to peek at the
/etc/passwd file.  Read pages 153-154 in the ORA Practical Unix Security
book, it's really quite good (and interesting)

-nate

--
                   Nate Sammons <nate () vis colostate edu>
       System Administrator - CSU Computer Visualization Laboratory