Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security Info (root broken)

From: neil () legless demon co uk (Neil Woods)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 00:53:45 +0100 (GMT+0100)

    P> Did you happen to install the following, in particular 101436-02?
    P> Solaris 1.1.1 Patches Containing Security Fixes:
    P> ------------------------------------------------
    P> 101436-02   SunOS 4.1.3_U1: bin/mail jumbo patch
This is the patch which made the race condition *easier* to exploit
than it was in the unpatched version.

Yes, and after getting another copy of the exploit script, it's been
pointed out that the race condition can write to ANY file.

Btw, does anyone know if there is a similar race condition on Solaris
2.x?

Yes this is the case, judging from trace output I've seen.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Bull in the Heather, Me and My Charms, The Lights, Sensual World, Go, Ritual,
Handsome and Gretel, Take Me, Blue Room, Drunken Butterfly, She's Lost Control.

        ...like a badger with an afro throwing sparklers at the Pope...