Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security Info (root broken)

From: pug () arlut utexas edu (Pug)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 14:21:53 -0600 (CDT)

    P> Did you happen to install the following, in particular 101436-02?
    P> Solaris 1.1.1 Patches Containing Security Fixes:
    P> ------------------------------------------------
    P> 101436-02   SunOS 4.1.3_U1: bin/mail jumbo patch
This is the patch which made the race condition *easier* to exploit
than it was in the unpatched version.

Yes, and after getting another copy of the exploit script, it's been
pointed out that the race condition can write to ANY file.

Btw, does anyone know if there is a similar race condition on Solaris
2.x?

Ciao,

--
Richard Bainter          Mundanely     |    System Analyst        - OMG/CSD
Pug                      Generally     |    Applied Research Labs - U.Texas