Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DEC OSF/1 Enhanced Security passwd problem

From: uka () data ks se (Urban Kaveus)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:33:51 +0100 (NFT)

Oddly enough, you can get the same behaviour with a "security" package
called BOKS installed on an IBM RS/6000.

The package relies on a utmp-like file called btmp and if it has been
corrupted its' passwd program will let *any* user change roots' password.
In fact, if a users' password has "expired" (s)he will be *forced* to
change roots' password. !

So, we had to create a backdoor since we lost our root password about half
a dozen times a day...

Honestly, we are now facing an upgrade to version 4 and hopefully our
problems will go away.

Urban Kaveus  <uka () data ks se>
Computer Dept.
Karolinska Hospital