Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Out of Business?

From: jeromie () mmp com (jeromie)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 94 10:10:32 PDT

  Sure, sounds secure, but not very useful. I happen to like things like
mbone, name resolution, nfs mounting internet archives, talk, the variety of
games that require UDP, FSP, etc.

Name Resolution can be used fine though a firewall, just takes a little of coaxing.  Reguarding MBONE & NFS, well
hopefully we all know their inherent risks, and you obviously put funtionality before security.  Other companies
security
policies may differ.

    The product seems pretty good from what I've read thus far.

  Well, then Winn suckered you in. :-) Just be warned, you can duplicate
perhaps 98% of the functionality for free, and it won't even require
any programming. In fact, you can probably get more functionality,
since I'm sure UDP proxies exist.

        Yes, you can duplicate just about everything it's doing, other than
packet filtering based on the data content (as far as I know, no public package is available to do that).  I would also
agree you could get more functionality
if you're putting together your own homebrew of security remedies.

  Well, you're confusing public recognition with knowledge. SCTC is
probably more well known in their (DoD?) circles than Ches or Bellovin.
Besides, AT&T may have a grudge. :-)

    Yes, obviously SCTC would be a much better evaluator.