Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: permissions

From: shipley () merde dis org (Evil Pete)
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 02:31:13 -0700

"Pat Myrto" has been known to say:

There is a patch, that is nothing more than a script that improves
the perms that is available, at least for SunOS 4.1.x.  As you point out
it changes /etc/ from bin to root, and the same with a lot of other
subdirs.  How complete it is, I don't know but it is far better than
the original.

To get the permissions right under SunOS you have to do it yourself

mount:

/               rw,nosuid
/usr            ro
/var            rw,nosuid
/home           rw,nosuid
/tmp            rw,nosuid
/usr/local      ro

and for automount/afs users:
/net            rw,nosuid,nodev

this way there is not place to install a setuid program/backdoor
and most of the system binaries are on a readonly partition.

as for sun automount (afs is better :-)  I find most sites that
setup /net forget to disable setuid, thus anyone can get root my typing
the command:

        /net/unsecure.host.another.dom/tmp/make_be_root