Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UnixWare

From: ccdes () ccdes princeton nj us (Carl Corey)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 09:10:14 -0500

Errh, I think Perry objects (as does everybody else I've ever spoken to) to
having a big, complex, hairy, MONOLITHIC sendmail. The functionality it
performs ought to be broken down into smaller, simpler modules. One module,
charged with helping local delivery, ought to be capable of running as the
recipient, and therefore some root execution will be involved. But the smtp
sender doesn't, and most of the local delivery doesn't, and the routing
doesn't.

How is smail in this respect?  From what I heard it's much easier than
sendmail - plus easier to understand.  All I know is that I always use that
damn book with the bat on the cover every time I need to do anything to
sendmail.

cc