Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UnixWare

From: bet () std sbi com (Bennett Todd)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 17:09:41 -0400 (EDT)

Scott Schwartz writes:
| needlessly running with root privileges (like sendmail).
You think pipes in .forward files should be disallowed, then?

Errh, I think Perry objects (as does everybody else I've ever spoken to) to
having a big, complex, hairy, MONOLITHIC sendmail. The functionality it
performs ought to be broken down into smaller, simpler modules. One module,
charged with helping local delivery, ought to be capable of running as the
recipient, and therefore some root execution will be involved. But the smtp
sender doesn't, and most of the local delivery doesn't, and the routing
doesn't.

-Bennett
bet () sbi com