Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DDoS protection

From: Kelly Keeton <kellyrkeeton () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 07:31:33 -0700

Well every vendor of egress technology (firewall or load balancer) offers a form of protection In some way.

I would also argue that your using "cloud protection" by using your ISP.

It's a risk evaluation vs threat possibility discussion here. What is the cost to your business in terms of effect if
your offline due to a attack. What is the realistic likelihood of you getting attacked?

If your amazon for example - downtime equals immediate lost revenue and public trust of enterprise quality, that means
long term revenue. People also would be more inclined to "hold random" amazon for a mass attack.

If your a provider of garage doors and  your website is contact info and a catalog only. Will it matter if your offline
for a day? Who cares to attack you?

Also note that you can't prevent large scale ddos - if it's large enough no "appliance" model will save you. And a
distributed model might even be taken out.

You actually will be more cost effective and technically easier to use cloud biased concepts (beyond your ISP) so if
your serious it's a poor argument to scuff them off (I am assuming your a single site smaller organization)

Kelly Keeton
Sent via mobile device.