Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: DDoS protection

From: Jácint TÓTH <Jacint.Toth () xapt com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:15:36 +0200

Hi,

The answer to the first question is "it depends". At bandwidths that Your ISP can easily handle, the answer is probably
no, their equipment is better placed and probably of a higher grade, so it is better to handle the DDoS protection
there, and just put some "of sound mind" sort of things on Your end to handle small-scale stuff that may no even
trigger detection thresholds at the ISP.

Now on the other hand, if you are in a large hosted environment like a server hotel hooked up directly to an Internet
Exchange, or are handling huge amounts of traffic in a datacenter, maybe even function as a traffic concentrator for a
larger MAN/WAN/GAN, then it does make sense to have an own solution for the purpose of DDoS protection and maybe
firewalling integrated with it. At 10G and higher traffic links and/or several 100s of thousands of RPS on NORMAL
traffic, You would probably want to know exactly what You are working with, what's happening to it, and eliminate the
delays with having an external entity manage the service.

Cost-wise, You have to measure cost vs. potential risk and loss of income if You don't have these, and this calculation
will almost always happen to bring You into the 6-digit range in a year at least (USD), as there are significant costs
associated with procuring/implementing/operating/supporting such devices. So if you are far beneath that range
budget-wise or traffic-wise, don't bother, go with the managed service of the ISP.

As for the second question, at first thought there is A10 Networks who have several appliances up to N*40Gb bandwidth
for both dedicated DDoS protection and integrated into an application firewall/load balancer, and Cisco's Guard XT
series is also an option if You are playing in this league. Ctrix's Netscalers are balancers /ALGs that can help You
with DDoS-protection for certain protocols, but these are not really dedicated security devices.

If you just want to go for "something", or build something small-scale, then You coul do some testing with say Aache
mod_security on an OpenBSD or FreeBSD with pf, these are working fine on a small scale and are cheap to build and
maintain, but You'll probably end up managing them Yourself and bear in mind, community support is nothing compared to
what a large vendor will provide.

Cheers,
--
Jacint