Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Segregation to prevent spread of malware

From: Grzegorz Dlugajczyk <dlugajczyk.grzegorz () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:39:49 +0100

Hi there,

You can avoid Malware spreading from one network segment to another by using the following approach:
- remotely accessing a separate user environment such as another desktop stored in a less trusted or more isolated area
of the network from which users can access the web. It can be implemented by using Citrix to directly access separate
user environments
- remotely accessing an application directly from the internal network. The remote application runs in the less trusted
environment, however, the user accesses it from their normal corporate desktop.

The key point with both options is that users do not store or process potentially malicious information directly from
their corporate desktop. Each user provides input to the remote application or desktop and, if required, output is sent
back to the user through a sufficiently structured and limited capability that prevents malware or potentially
malicious content from executing or propagating throughout one network segment to another.
One of the important controls when implementing this type of segregation is to ensure that untrusted web browsing
environments are non-persistent and regularly patched & fixed. That is, if the web browsing environment becomes
compromised with malware, the infection is quickly removed when the user completes their web browsing session.

Common examples of systems that enable this type of functionality include separate desktop & application virtualisation
like Citrix XenApp, VMware ThinApp, Microsoft App-V, etc.

Regards,
Grzegorz