Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bank Of Montreal Online Security

From: Davin Enigl <davinenigl () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 09:12:31 -0700

After all the discussion such as this:

On 11/01/2012 06:53 AM, Alexander Meesters wrote:
Yes, it's very easy to remember, but I think this method for password
setting is not as strong as it may appears :-)

The phrase "Which password length is more secure - that is a question"
contains not 58 "random chars", but 11 only, because each word must be
considered as a single symbol in the vocabulary, say for brute force attack.

Passwords are obsolete because of replay attack. Why not simply use one
of the many one-time-password tokens now available? If you want to add a
password in front of that in case the token is stolen, OK.

The bottom line continues to be use s, hash and double salt.

Better than that, use that long high-entropy password as a
pre-authentication password before either a static Yubikey for
two-factor authentication or a one-time-code Yubikey, best. Or something
similar to a Yubikey, that is time-based (eBay/PayPal).

Naked passwords are on LIFE-SUPPORT and dying fast.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1