Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to prevent zero day attacks

From: Michał Purzyński <michal () rsbac org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 18:09:15 +0200

Are we talking about some specific systems or just generic techniques?

If generic - you've got some good answeres already. I would add - segment your networking. Assume every system will be
owned, sooner or later - and plan for it. Local firewall is nice, but when (not if) someone will get
"root/Administrator" access he will bypass it anyway. Inwest into good network design, think - what could i do, as the
attacker, after taking this machine? How would i extend my attack? Don't waste your time & money on yet another
"innovative" way of signature based detection. Are layer 2 attacks possible in your setup, after one of the machines
been taken over? What about access to another machines in your network - how much easier it will be to extend the
attack?

If we're talking about some speficic systems, enumerate them.

Windows - learn how to use EMET. Btw - i am aware of that "here's another way to bypass EMET". Most, if not all of them
are build up on a bad assumption - like, the process beeing attacked has full Administrator/Local System privileges,
with write access to debug registers. If your MSSQL can do that - you aready have a bigger problem.

Do not trust defaults. Run services into separate accounts and give them only what they need. Same goes for user
applications, as someone has pointed out already. Get some _kernel_ enforced software that can whitelist binaries that
can be run. Use build-in things in Windows, like (parts of, at least) MAC and MIC (Mandatory Access Control and
Mandatory Integrity Control, if anyone wonders).

Linux - learn how to use PaX in a right way. How to make your executables into proper PIE. Learn some MAC system and
use it - RSBAC, for example.  Or Grsec RBAC.

0-days aren't some kind of black magic, that if it's done to your servers will make them all turn into
kitten-killing-zombies. They are ordinary exploits - made by people who know a lot more than you. Use exploit
mittigation techniques.

After all, there's not much you can do on Linux system, with PaX, with PIE binaries, NX + full ASLR enforced, with
mprotect() restrictions. Unless you have some information leak in application _before_ it is exploited, that's it.