Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to prevent zero day attacks

From: Nathan Sherlock <nsherlock () herjavecgroup com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:10:59 +0000

Nothing will prevent a zero day attack - that's why they are zero day. All zero day attacks invoke less severe (and
more obvious) events that can be monitored and caught via SIEM, file integrity monitoring tools and IPS monitoring - of
course that requires proper configuration of these security tools, specific to your unique requirements, followed by
24/7/365 monitoring of those events by qualified analysts. The idea here is to mitigate risk by catching the general
bad activity that is taking place, and reduce the damage caused by this activity.

Regards,
Nathan