Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Tool to find rouge wireless access points?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 11:57:08 -0700

  An AP typically has two interfaces -- the radio, and the Ethernet
connection.  A few of the largest "enterprise" manufacturers will configure
them to use consecutive MAC addresses within the prefix allocated to the
manufacturer.  But a lot of consumer/SOHO gear uses a radio from one source
and an Ethernet ASIC from another, and retains the MAC addresses supplied by
those manufacturers.

  So the MAC address of the radio side (ESSID, BSSID?) doesn't reliably tell
you what MAC address the device uses on your wired network.  Unfortunately.
Even if the user isn't spoofing one or the other.....

David Gillett, CISSP CCNP