Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Tool to find rouge wireless access points?

From: Dan Lynch <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 11:11:44 -0700

So, I read the question as: How do I determine which APs, that are
scanned and detected, are actually on my network.
Unfortunately, I don't know of a tool that can effectively do this.
Possibly some nmap script-fu?

I read the opposite, like so: I have a network with no wireless access, and multiple physical locations. How do I
detect if a user somewhere has connected a wireless access point to a network jack? I could visit each location and use
a wifi detector, but then how would I know if an AP I detected is connected to my network, and not the doctor's office
next door? Is there a way to scan the *wired* network for connected APs?

The netdisco suggestion is a good one, but would seem to rely on the AP having SNMP enabled, and a known community
string.

NMAP seems to be a useable solution, but is clumsy, and would require knowledge of the AP OS. Do most APs have a bootp
service on their wired interface?

Is there a list somewhere of AP manufacturers and the MAC address ranges we'd see for their wired interfaces? We could
scan switch logs for those MACs.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Auburn, CA

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1