Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Are Proxy Firewalls a Security Hole?

From: Stephanus J Alex Taidri <securityfocus.ae () taidri com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:43:14 +0800

Dav,

The 68 chars of EICAR virus-test signature must not be combined with
any other larger test file.
It may optionally be appended by any combination of whitespace
characters (not exceeding 128 chars in length) and use only allowed
whitespace chars such as: space character, tab, LF, CR, CTRL-Z.

The reason why most proxy firewall do not perform deep inspection for
larger file (more than X MB of size) because commonly virus (or
dropper) will have much smaller size to infect the victim effectively.
It may later download the real payload of virus once successfully
exploit the victim host and stay persistent.

Kind regards,
SJ Alex Taidri