Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Are Proxy Firewalls a Security Hole?

From: "Rob" <synja () synfulvisions com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 23:47:37 +0000

I wouldn't classify a limitation as a security hole. That's like declaring that antivirus technology is useless because
there are cryptors that are currently undetectable.

When you design your security model, you need to account for every likely scenario and do a basic cost benefit analysis
of what each device/application will provide you.

A $20k appliance that doesn't give you at least $20k worth of benefit has no place on your network. Proxies can filter
many common attacks out, but the real test is always client side; have you comparmentalized application permissions and
ensured that any compromise is limited in scope?

It's not as simple as prevention, you also have to account for mitigation, containment, and recovery.

Rob