Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Managing Network bandwidth

From: don.thomasjacob () gmail com
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:46:59 GMT

The best solution to capture both points is netFlow. NetFlow can help you with bandwidth reports about speed, volume,
traffic and utilization and also tell you applications using bandwidth, source and destination of traffic and so on.

So, you can find the bandwidth delivered by your ISP as well as employees using the bandwidth/ unwanted application
usage.

Alas, NetFlow cannot be used for bandwidth management. But using the reports from NetFlow, you can use ACLs or QoS to
police the bandwidth.

For tools, there is NTOP. ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer is out of the box, comes with Windows and Linux versions, 30
day full feature trial or a free edition to monitor 2 interfaces. Use the trial version, get your report on top talkers
and then use QoS or something for management.

Regards,
Don Thomas

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1