Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Managing Network bandwidth

From: dan.tesch () comcast net
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:55:56 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Peter, a common problem!

At a minimum, you could use a simple web based tool like the speed test here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Not very scientific but it should answer your question about what the ISP is giving you fairly quickly.

Your edge router or firewall or switch port they connect to inside your network might be your next stop. Depending on
the gear you have, you might have some simple graphs or numeric indicators of traffic to look at... certainly useful to
get you going if you have them.

There are a few better answers for the long term, some monitoring is certainly in order and I'd start with SNMP. Again,
look to your edge device or the switch it uplinks to and then you'll need something to monitor the SNMP. I use a tool
called Denika from Plixer that is free in its unsupported form. Cacti is a common open source piece of software for
this and you should be able to find some configuration guides by Googling.

A more comprehensive solution might be something like NetFlow if your devices support it and if you need that level of
visibility. Like SNMP, I use a tool from the folks at Plixer because they offer outstanding support. Their NetFlow
monitoring software is called Scrutinizer and it also has a free flavor but once you start using it you may decide it
is worth paying for. Other companies, including some open source offerings also do NetFlow... but your device needs to
support it or you need to install an inline monitoring device which are not too expensive.

Take a look at some of the information on the Plixer website... it should set you on the right path to start.

HTH