Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux auditd and Snare - events to look for

From: Champ Clark III <cclark () quadrantsec com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 17:03:44 -0400

A couple of things:

You might want to look into Sagan (Sagan is a security based log event
analyzer).  That's at http://sagan.quadrantsec.com.  It's an open
source solution that "pulls" those security related events out of
logs.  Even if you decided you don't want to use Sagan,  you might
want to check out the Sagan rule sets.   They have a lot of these
types of text strings you probably want to look for.  Since Sagan
rules are very similar to "Snort" rules,  they are very easy to
understand (they don't look like PCRE/line noise :).

Hope this helps.