Security Basics mailing list archives

Linux auditd and Snare - events to look for

From: peenacolada69 () yahoo com
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 23:43:44 GMT

I have some Linux servers.   I have set up auditd and Snare on them, in order to capture security-related log entries
occurring on these servers.  (As a starting point, I am using Snare's pre-configured settings for Payment Card
Industry, in order to quickly start capturing some security-related log entries).

This generates > 100,000 log entries per day from each server.  I will likely store most of these log entries, in case
one day a forensic investigation needs to be performed.

Now I need to find the "important" security-related events in these logs.  The stuff I would want to know about sooner
rather than later.  Things like the auditing configuration being changed, a new user being added, software
installation, etc.

My question is, what log entries/text strings is everyone else out there searching for?

I am looking for specifics.  For example, when a user is added, what are those one or two relevant strings to search
for out of the hundreds or thousands of log entries created?  What are the strings you "grep" your Linux auditd/Snare
logs for?  (Not the syslogs; auditd has different info than the syslogs).

TIA

Ely

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1