Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Scanning - Prioritising Remediation

From: "Mikhail A. Utin" <mutin () commonwealthcare org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:01:49 -0400

It all depends on your IDS/IPS configuration and vulnerability scanner as well. Sometimes you even cannot change
features you do not want at all (see below).
 VSs (and port scanners as well) use SYN half-open.  So, IDS/IPS can react on SYN packets as "SYN flood" and block
them. Thus, a part of port scanning could be disabled.
Some appliance, for instance SonicWALL, can make your life miserable by disabling both scanning and entire network.
SonicWALL IDS cannot be removed if comes together with firewall in one appliance. If IPS is enabled (having license)
then it will block your SYN packets (unless configured otherwise). If IPS is disabled (say, no license for) then IDS
will be active anyway. It has limited stack for all TCP connections (16K) and will be overloaded by SYN packets pretty
fast (depends on "insanity" of port scanning). Thus, all other your local network TCP connections will be dropped by
IDS. No Internet, no email, etc.
That is the example how IDS can affect scanning, and local network as well.

Mikhail A. Utin, CISSP