Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: For firewalls, what`s best? Load-Sharing or High-Availability?

From: "Unmesh" <unmesh.kumar () paladion net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:10:30 +0530

Dear Jeff,

HA mode is a better option in this case as failure of 1 firewall will result in another firewall taking over the
operations. However, incase of a load sharing mode it is recommended that the load does not cross 40-45% in a 2
firewall mode and 30-33% in a 3 firewall mode coz failure of any firewall will increase the load on others resulting in
a high risk of firewall failure due to increased load. Hence, load balancing is not recommended in this case, and if
the need be then it should be in the 3 firewall mode.

We can have 1 firewall with 3 interfaces , DMZ, External and Internal zones. Also this firewall should be configured in
HA mode with the other firewall, preferably in Active-Active mode.

Regards,

Unmesh Kumar