Security Basics mailing list archives

Virtualisation of two security domains

From: Wilmar Sulaiman <wilmar.sulaiman () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:34:14 +1000

Hi all,

Over the number of years, the most common / acceptable security
architecture to separate two security domains e.g. DMZ and Internal
Zone is through fully segregated physical server and network hardware.
For example, a Web Server (in DMZ) will sit on different physical
hardware to its database server that sits on Internal Zone.

As Server virtualisation is now a proven de-factor standard for any
significant server infrastructure deployment, in general are
compliance/risk/auditor comfortable of using virtualisation technology
to separate these two domains?
(http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/network_segmentation.pdf). Any point
of view and thought about this topic?

PS: Note that I use the word 'comfortable' rather than 'Is this
solution secure?" because I can do risk assessment and put more
controls in if required to reduce the risk of server consolidation.

Wilmar

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1