Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hacking Pictures?

From: Matthew Caron <Matt.Caron () sixnet com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:19:56 -0500

On 01/21/2011 11:42 AM, Steven Bonici wrote:
> I was speaking to someone from DHS (not a tech) and he was telling me
> that there are applications that can "look" at a picture taken from a
> cell phone and can get the location of where the picture was taken.

Anything that can read exif tags, for one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

> Is this true?

Yes.

> If so, can someone provide more information?

Grab any picture you like, dump the exif data. It includes provisions for geotagging, and since all modern phones in the US have GPS's included (for 911, even if not user accessible), they often tag pictures.

> If this can be
> done, people posting pictures from their cell phones to social sites
> should be aware of this...

You mean the stuff that Larry Pesce over at PaulDotCom has been working on forever? ;-) Scraping twitpic to find out what folks are up to, and where, etc.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/205296/what_your_digital_photos_reveal_about_you.html

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/i-can-stalk-u-geotagged-pics-worth-more-1000-

They even found out where Adam Savage lived:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/technology/personaltech/12basics.html
--
Matthew Caron
Build Engineer

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1