Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What to buy?

From: Michael Peppard <mpeppard () impole com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:37:05 -0500

Correct.

What to "buy" is the manual for your firewall and router.

Plus there are many online resources.

Some free:
http://lartc.org/howto/
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html

Some not free:
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/index.html

-Mike

On 2/22/2011 1:34 PM, David Gillett wrote:
   With IPv4 space practically exhausted, your users should probably be on a
private range (per RFC 1918) with NAT or PAT at your gateway.  So their IP
addresses won't do an outsider any good.  Similarly, MAC addresses aren't
visible (or usable) past any router, so the only people who could exploit
them are already inside your network.

   So far as I can tell, the most common way people get "hacked" on FaceBook
is that someone steals their PASSWORD, not their IP address.  Read up on
"Firesheep" to see how easy that has been; theoretically, at least, users
can now protect themselves by using HTTPS instead of HTTP to connect to FB.

   Books:  I'd suggest starting with CCNA-level coverage of TCP/IP, and Ross
Anderson's "Security Engineering".

David Gillett, CISSP CCNP