Security Basics mailing list archives

What to buy?

From: Just1n <hotpackets () hellokitty com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:21:45 -0700

Hows it going security gurues.

My job is now taking on the security responsibilityes for my network. We have nearly 250 pcs on the network and theres
about 30 macs too (ugh). I was just doing the network before this but the security guy got fired on the weekend after
getting caught with drugs.

My boss wants to stop people being able to post their IP number on the internet. I was telling him that you have to
worry about the MAC numbers getting posted too, otherwise you can get hacked using them if the hackers get those
numbers. Most people dont really know thats how you can get hacked on facebook or some of the forums (especially php
forums).

If I wanted to buy something to block these getting posted, what would be the best? Or should I look into doing it
myself with linux?? Any good books you think I should read about this?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1