Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall question - how easy is it to get thru - Proof

From: "Mark Brunner" <kohi10 () rogers com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:22:26 -0500

Phillipe,

Your question assumes that we understand the firewall's ruleset.  Firewalls
can only reject malicious or improperly formed packets, addresses, or
session states. It does this based on configurable rules.  Whatever the
rules are determines what gets in and what gets dropped.  New firewalls
integrate with Active Directory, web content filters, DLP and other
appliances to add greater controls.

In the real world, many attacks are making their way into businesses via SQL
injections. Drive-by web attacks and Fake A-V are other examples of firewall
bypass. These work because they appear to the firewall to be real, normal
traffic.  Firewalls need to be augmented, with things like Web-application
firewalls, enforced hardening, IPS/IDS/DLP, content filtering, extensive
patch and vulnerability management practices, access/privilege standards and
user education.

Example of SQL Injection:
Anonymous recently attacked HBGary and HBGary Federal, using SQL Injection
to get at a server.  Once inside, they compromised an email server.  They
took over key email identities, and used Social Engineering to get
passwords.  They got root, and did all kinds of mischief and mayhem.

Examples of DIRECT firewall attacks:
In 2010, a security researcher demonstrated a novel attack at the CanSecWest
security conference. He calls his technique the "Jedi Packet Trick". It
installs a VPN inside a firewall by hacking the firmware of the firewall's
networking interface cards.

Two researchers from the French Network and Information Security Agency
developed an attack that exploits a bug in a remote-management feature in
Broadcom's NetXtreme cards. Their attack installs a back door on a Linux
computer, though they claim that it could easily be modified to target any
operating system.

There have been more recent vulnerabilities announced in many wired and
wireless firewalls and routers.  Check the CVE database at NIST or Mitre for
those.

If you want more proof of attacks, I suggest that YOU do your own research,
and start by Googling some of the terms above.  Just my 2¢.

Mark B.
Information Security Manager & Consultant
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario Canada