Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Length vs Complexity

From: John Morrison <john.morrison101 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:04:52 +0100

In my opinion the use of tokens, from a security perspective is a
better solution unless users are sharing the password/token. It
certainly means the password changes frequently to reduce the time for
cracking the password before it becomes invalid. However, the cost of
purchasing a token is higher than that of asking a user to think of a
password.

In my experience if using complex passwords there is an increased
likelihood that the user will write down the password. (Also a problem
for tokens as users can write the PIN on a label and fasten it to the
token.)

Personally I would recommend that users choose passwords that they can
remember and can avoid writing down. Couple this with a fairly short
life time for the password so that it must be changed frequently. The
security of the passwords can then be enhanced by persistently
reminding them of the value of their password (and what it protects)
as well as how to construct and remember a password.

Again the token can be a useful tool as it can be likened to a
chip-and-pin debit/credit card. Users understand the value of keeping
the PIN secret for their card. It might even help if the token looks
like a card.

Linking the different bits of security together will help. What ever
solution is selected it is also important to monitor usage patterns
and flag unusual activity. For example, a 9-5 office working logging
in late at night; a log in when the user is on leave; or attempts to
access files or servers never used before. Also if you have physical
security that relies on users identifying themselves you could flag if
a user tries to log in in a building, but has not been through the
security system to get into that location.