Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Length vs Complexity

From: p8x <l () p8x net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 01:36:55 +0800

I personally base password strength off the bit strength (entropy) of the password, as well as not selecting dictionary words. In the case of your passwords, "Security.Basics.List" is 92 bits (there are 2^92 possibilities if someone was to attempt a brute force). In comparison, "D*3ft!7z" is 51 bits.

In a brute force attack the shorter password would come out second best, although keep in mind factors like dictionary attacks etc. can speed up guesses of common words.