Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to tweak tools against targets that block ICMP

From: Robert Portvliet <robert.portvliet () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:33:04 -0400

What is the behavior you are seeing? (Does it fail because it can't
ping the host?)

What tool(s) are you using?

I would think most scanners would have an option to skip this step
(like nmap has -PN)

If the tool you are using doesn't have this option,  I would consider
using a tool where you can craft your packets to slip thorugh the
packet filter, like with NMAP, HPING, SCAPY, etc.

Also, take into consideration that although they are blocking ICMP
echo requests, they may not be blocking echo replys, time-stamp
requests, address mask requests, etc.