Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Session layer in OSI and TCP/IP

From: Andy Colson <andy () squeakycode net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:47:42 -0500

On 7/17/2010 7:05 AM, Naruto Uzumaki wrote:
@dwg5901. Thanks! Looking at your answer I think you're correct.
TCP/IP isn't based on OSI.

So for my another question.

What "exactly" is a SSL session? I mean how do you view it?
 From what I've gathered, I think it's also called a 'dialogue'--
simplex, full duplex and half-duplex.

You seem to "quote" a lot. To me, quotes means sarcastically. So I'll "answer" your question. Other may use it differently. So, then did you want an exact answer, or and "exact" answer (which one would have to consider two different things, and I'd assume a sarcastic answer).

But, then, a sarcastic answer would not help you. So I'll assume you really just want an exact answer. But then an exact answer would require huge amount of detail, probably some source code, and a mathematical bases in encryption, none of which I know. So instead, I'll offer a simple answer.

First, I'd say dont over use session. Lots of places use the word to mean different thing, dont assume they are the same.

SSL is encryption. You create a socket connection (TCP/IP if you like) and then begin encrypted communication over it. I'd bet session, dialog, connection, etc, all refer to the same thing.

-Andy

PS: do you think Sakura would go out with me?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1