Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: proactive blocking of malware threats

From: martin <martiniscool () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:21:56 +0000

Well, my list is by no means exhaustive, and I'm not even 100% sure
it's what you're looking for.  But I'll throw it out there anyway, it
might get you thinking :0) guess:

1.  IDP
2.  Different AV's at different entry points to the network - eg
Norton on your proxies, symantec on your mail servers and trend micro
on your desktops
3.  Software Restriction Policiees:
most users don't need to run executibles from their profile, they only
need to run the ones installed in %programfiles% or %windir%.  So
blocking any exe's and scripts from running under the user profile
would prevent some malware from getting through.  Of course this
depends on you having Windows desktops with XP or later and an AD
environment.  It'll need some testing though - we partially use it and
found that some badly written apps (installed in C:\Program Files)
write exe's to the user profile temporarially ... I have to emphasise
though, there was just one (so far !!)
4.  Goes without saying ... LUA !!

Anyway, not too sure if this is what you were looking for, but
hopefully it might help

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1