Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Any abuses on opening outbound port 43 tcp and udp

From: Nikhil Wagholikar <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:52:57 +0530

Hi Raja,

The threat is not from opening port 43 TCP/UDP on firewall, but from
the service and its in-secure configuration and security of the same.
For example, if one uses SNMP v2 with default community string and
accessible on Internet, but configured to use port 171 UDP instead of
161 UDP, is still vulnerable to information leakage and possible
threats ahead due to leaked information.

So here are few ideas:

1. Look for un-used non-standard TCP/UDP port to host the service
2. Configure the service to best secure level as possible.
3. If possible, restrict/limit the usage to users who really need the service
4. Use latest possible software version of the application.
5. Have defense in dept, may be through layered architecture.
6. Have strong authentication, authorization and accounting in place
as far as possible

Hope this helps!

---
Nikhil Wagholikar