Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Review of logs/audit trail - whose responsibility?

From: "M.D.Mufambisi" <mufambisi () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:06:42 +0200

My 0.02. Im an IT Advisor and this issue is raised often by clients.
In my humble opinion,Computer audit should review the logs and should
have the necessary skill to do it. It cant be IT because IT generate
ssome of the audited events and proper segregation of duties implies
that you can not MONITOR your own activity.
With regards to te frequency, it depends with the environment. A bank
for instance would have real time monitoring....such as alerts to IT
security on various events....whilst an organisation such as a sports
club may not need such drastic measures.

Kind Regards

Munyaradzi