Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Allowing access to social networking... securely?

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:24:17 -0400

Dan,

Response to your points:
If your organization allows employees to access social networking from
work you can guarantee that they will do so.  Not only does this open
up the known risks associated with SN, but it wastes a lot of man
hours.  Beyond that, I would suggest that people accessing SN from
work are more likely to talk about potentially sensitive work related
matters on those SN sites.

Few organizations do proper web filtering.  I would say only 1
organization out of 50 has web filtering in place that a smart 15 year
old could not circumvent within half an hour.

I agree with your point about desktop security.  I don't believe
security is compatible with an organization that gives every user
local admin rights and says, "get to it."  The fact that organizations
spend a great deal of money on qualified security personnel and
network security infrastructure, then turn around and allow their
users to install whatever they want on their desktop is mindboggling.
It must be extremely frustrating to work in an environment like that
and be expected to keep the network secure.

User education only takes you so far.  Not everyone has a "knack" for
computers, yet almost everyone is required to use them to get their
job done these days.  I know people that sit in front of a computer 8
hours a day at work and don't even own a computer at home, or a cell
phone, or anything "high tech" except maybe a DVD player.  If someone
is not interested in computers they aren't going to learn enough to be
running CommonSense 2009 and avoid compromise.

My point:
Unless SN is being used by the company for specific marketing purpose
then it should be banned and completely blocked for ANYONE in the
organization (even the admins/security/etc.).  If your company has a
Facebook/MySpace/Twitter profile, by all means allow a couple of
people in your marketing department access - but that's it.  My stance
on things when it comes to security at work is completely
authoritarian.  At home, I don't believe in national
"firewalls/filters" or any other such nonsense.  But at work, you're
not being paid to look at lolcats and rick roll your friends on
MySpace.

Some large organizations have considered a default deny web browsing
policy with a very narrowly defined white list of specific sites
required in order for personnel to perform their duties.  A few
organizations may have implemented such a scheme.  Does anyone know of
anything of that nature having been put in place?  Was it successful?

Steve Mullins