Security Basics mailing list archives

Annual Security Awareness program

From: Nick Duda <nduda () VistaPrint com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:56:07 -0400

While some will argue about its true effectiveness, we have an obligation under PCI DSS 12.6.1b , "Do employees attend
security awareness training upon hire and at least annually?". We have a program in place for new hires, they sit
through about a 1 hour session with a member of the InfoSec team, where we go over a PPT with common security related
issues. We are now required to have annual training for all employees. My question is, How do companies with
hundred/thousands of employees perform this to meet PCI DSS requirements? I've heard about online programs, but this
just seems like a waste of time (but may satisfy PCI DSS). The floor is open for discussion and recommendation on how
an annual awareness session can be held for hundreds+ employees.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nick Duda
Manager, Information Security