Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Client side email encryption

From: "martijn.list" <martijn.list () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:55:53 +0100

> I've been tasked with finding an encryption solution for email sent from
> our HR departments to both internal and external clients. We are
> currently running MS Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 and 2007. We have no
> plans to install Exchange 2007 at this time. One requirement we have is
> it must be installed on the client. We don't want to install anything on
> the mail servers.
>
> PGP/GPG is one option. Is anyone using a different product for client
> side encryption with Outlook?

You could try Djigzo email encryption gateway. It's open source and free. Djigzo is an email encryption gateway (MTA) that encrypts and decrypts your incoming and outgoing email. There is a VMware virtual appliance available which allows you to run it without any installation (apart from installing the VMware image).

It currently supports two encryption standards; S/MIME and PDF encryption. S/MIME provides authentication, message integrity and non-repudiation (using X.509 certificates) and protection against message interception. S/MIME uses public key encryption (PKI) for encryption and signing. PDF encryption can be used as a lightweight alternative to S/MIME encryption. PDF allows you to decrypt and read encrypted PDF documents. PDF documents can even contain attachments embedded within the encrypted PDF. The password for the PDF can be manually set per recipient or a password can be randomly generated and sent to the recipient via SMS (using an external SMS gateway).

For more information see www.djigzo.com

Martijn Brinkers

--
Djigzo open source email encryption www.djigzo.com