Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: tripwire log checking

From: Gustavo Castro <gcastrop () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:40:55 -0200

Dolf,

  Is almost impossible to assure the integrity of a log file. Any good
cracker can easily play with any log file unnoticeably. The best way
to avoid tampering, is using a secure remote syslog or remote storage
system to send the logs to. Any local security measure (even tripwire)
will not be reliable in all conditions.