Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: tripwire log checking

From: Vitaly Nikolaev <vnikolaev () unison com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:47:37 -0500

The best thing would be logging to remote "secure" server. Hacker, when login to the server, will most likely modify current file syslog file (not rotated one), which is constantly growing. I am not sure tripwire can detect changes in this case. (not sure about enterprise version, but it sounds complicated, does it do frequent checksums for portions of the file?)