Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to do a nmap for a range?

From: Isaac Sabas <simplybeliv () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 02:53:53 -0800 (PST)

Hi Shirish,

First of all, -sP is just doing a ping sweep, so no port scan is involved. If you want to scan your networks subnet,
/32 won't do since you're only scanning 2 hosts. Most often your network would be a /24 network, so what you can do
with nmap is this: nmap -sP 192.168.0.0/24 If you want to scan from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255, use: nmap -sP
192.168.0.0/16

If you got DHCP enabled on your network, you don't need nmap to know what IP your router is using (I'm assuming the
interface to which the LAN is connected). There are two ways to know your router's LAN IP. First is by using the
command ipconfig in MS command prompt (if your using windows) or typing route (if your using linux). You will see the
default gateway or the default route there. The default gateway/route is always your router.

Another way is to use traceroute/tracert(windows). Try tracerouting a host outside your network, the first output of
the traceroute command is your router.

Hope this answers your question. Glad to help out.

Isaac Herculano S. Sabas
CCNA
E: isaac.sabas () ymail com