Security Basics mailing list archives

how to do a nmap for a range?

From: shirish <shirishag75 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:09:42 +0530

Hi all,
        Newbie to nmap. First of all thank you for a great tool.

I want to use nmap to find on which IP my router is

I read somewhere that you could use nmap to know where or how
your computer is communicating through the router with some given range.

Something like the following :-

nmap -sP 192.168.0.1/32

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-01-23 12:00 IST
Host 192.168.0.1 appears to be up.
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 12.595 seconds

The manpage gives the following info.

  -sP: Ping Scan - go no further than determining if host is online

Now trying the address which is supposed to be up doesn't give
anything in the browser

So I have couple of questions :-

a. Is there a way to scan all the addresses for positives between

192.168.0.0 to whatever could be the ending 192.168.255.255

reference :-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/192.168.1.1

Looking forward to any guidance on the same.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal