Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Physical security

From: Noah.Lance () APCC com
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:59:15 -0600

The more secure version of physical security I've seen is via a "Common
Access Card". An integrated solution that involves utilizing Smart Cards
for Network/PC access as well as biometrics, barcode, magnetic strip &
PIN, as physical entry authentication. All of which are located on one
card, that to disable it in the event of loosing it, requires a PIN
memorized by you to access networks, and areas requiring higher
restrictions for physical access.

Now I haven't heard of one company providing an "all in one" for this,
however, Dell supports Smart cards, ActiveDirectory supports Smart card
authentication (believe *nix has  a few available solutions as well, not
sure of there stability And there is various biometric based
authentication systems out there from simple fixes from IBM to LG's
Iridian/PrivateID line, as well as some solutions from General Dynamics I
believe for the "Out of box" solutions. Customized
enhancements/integrations are available as well.

Now cost wise, its up there, not really a feasible solution for a lot of
businesses. Mostly governments and "High Risk/Value" businesses would
employ such in a limited capacity. However, with the proper processes and
practices in line, it provides a very secure environment with a lot of
potential for enhancement as Netbotz, Pelco, etc... com out with many more
"Infrastructure Management Devices" that can control the building
environment autonomously.