Security Basics mailing list archives

Fw: firewalls

From: john.b.williams () gmail com
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:37:57 +0000

I had a good experience in recently deploying the IPCop firewall.  ICop is dedicated linux distribution; a  fork of the
smoothwall project.  It has a slick user interface (httpd), supporting VPN, proxy server, wireless LAN, ssh, and more,
lots of add-ons, great support community, and the power of iptables underneath the UI.  IPCop supports four interfaces
- inside, outside, dmz & wireless.  Basic to medium complexity firewall rules can be implemented through the UI.
Complex rules through the iptables command line.

Caveat: while Iptables itself requires very little processing power, the httpd UI requires a recent machine for
reasonable html rendering

www.ipcop.org